Summary of Key Priorities for
Abercynon Community Primary School 2023-2024
Priority 1 –Teaching and Learning - To challenge the learning of all our pupils across the school
· Action Research Challenge for all: Research on feedback/metacognition:
· e.g. John Hattie, Shirley Clarke, Teach Like a Champion. Systematic Review on Feedback
· Study Estyn research findings on feedback.
· Develop staff library of professional learning and research
· Develop self-evaluation strategies for evaluating teaching and learning
· Evaluate research as a staff and decide on way forward to address Challenge across the school
· Cluster working: Develop a collaborative approach to planning and progression
a. HT Cluster feedback from July INSET
b. AOLE leads meetings with cluster leads
c. INSET – way forward linking with MACS
d. Evaluate progress and Impact
· Monitor how pupils are being challenged- what has worked? What impact has this had?
· Revise use of non-negotiables
Develop Writing skills
· Develop Mighty writer across the school
Develop Numeracy skills
· Devise Calculation policy in line with cluster and MACS
- Targeted support for pupils through Shine Project, Thrive and ELSA
- Growth Mindset assembly - Use of mojo videos /Growth mindset questions
Priority 2 – To develop oracy with particular to Welsh oracy skills
· Further develop Helpwr Heddiw – daily routine
· INSET training on language patterns and activities to develop the Welsh language
· Governors/Challenge Advisor Learning Walk focus on
· Staff training – How to structure a Welsh lesson/pedagogy. (Y Gromlech Continuum).
· Staff Training – using EPI (Use of advisory service and techniques and resources).
· Communicate targets to Governors/parents
· Time to work on developing a cohesive curriculum and map progression of sentence patterns across the progression steps and themes.
· Develop Criw Iaith/community and cluster links (e.g links with YGG Abercynon, Pontsionorton and Ynysyboeth)
- Link with Eisteddfod (school and regional/national competitions)
· Revise LLC documentation
· Support and advice from CSC on developing Welsh across the school
Priority 3 – Focus on self assessment with reference to quality teaching and learning
· Continue to develop the ASPIRE curriculum
- Produce a teaching toolkit of good practice bespoke to Curriculum for Wales teaching and learning
· ALN – Statutory Years 2, 4, 6 - introduce ALN Bill practices and IDP’s
· ALN – All about Me profiles – develop new format to record one page profiles for pupils